Sunday, January 1, 2017

The year 2016

I could say that 2016 was a terrible year and a lot of people would agree with me or at least allow me to feel that way. The truth however is that 2016 was a pretty good year with the last 6 weeks being difficult. I can't pin the entire year on just the last several weeks. 
I work at a great school doing what I love. I have worked with several grades and teachers and have learned so much and they are such a great supportive group. My kids have grown and done some amazing things. As soon as Jennifer learned about prom in the Fall of 2015 she knew she would go. She had a confidence that I envied. She never doubted that someone would ask her to go, she even figured more than one would ask and she would choose. I always wanted to go to prom but never dreamed I would be asked. Jennifer was asked and went and had the time of her life. I loved watching blossom and grow into an amazing young lady. She tried out for a school play, again something I wouldn't have done even though I thought it would be fun. she got a part and even had a speaking part in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I was so amazed and proud. She went to three different high schools but Sturgis was by far the best fit and she just came into her own and was loved. Levi continued to grow literally so tall and did great in school and drama. Nathaniel was a delight to watch grow and be crazy. He started having seizures but God has taken care of him and we delight in watching him try new things. We went to court to get permanent custody of Jennifer for her safety. We made it a celebration for all of us.  I was fortunate to go to camp for the 4th year in a row and work with some great kids and not just my own. They challenged me and I think I grew more than the amazing young people did. They are resilient and have gone through so much and still keep praising God. We had several friends visit over the summer, some of which we hadn't seen in years. We ended the summer with a wonderful visit with my mom and sister. We hadn't seen them in two years so it was super special. We saw God do some amazing things for us and others. In the middle of November Jennifer went into the hospital. We still saw God work and do great things. She will never finish high school, she was planning on going to Prom again this year, that won't happen and I grieve for what never will be.We had so many people encourage us and our family. People from all over the world that was have never met and those I hadn't heard from in years came together to pray and encourage us. We cried out to God and He heard. I have had people tell me it should have been them that God took not Jennifer but I disagree. As hard as it is I know Jennifer is with her Lord and Savior. Someone else may not be ready for that and dying without Christ means eternal separation from Him...Hell. I don't want that for anyone. So as much as I miss our beautiful girl I am grateful that she had chosen Christ and those who haven't still have a chance. I know already that 2017 is going to be painful and a lot of healing and growing. I accept that and expect it. I am as ready as I can be. I will cry, I will laugh, I will grieve, I will grow. I will survive because I have Christ and I have hope. I pray that each of you have a 2017 that is full of growth and blessings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I find God's ways very hard to understand most of the time. You are an inspiration. My heart goes out to you and your family.